You Are the Leader of Your
Life and Career!
You may be feeling stuck right now. You likely know that there is “more” out there for you. Perhaps you are ready for a new challenge or the next step in your career and you want to make a difference! You're craving more impact, more balance, and more fun. You know you have to do something but you’re not sure what.
Here’s my guess: You are seeking change, growth, and renewal in your work, your business, your relationships, and your life (am I right?). This is the quest we all share – a deep desire to fulfill our potential and live a life of vitality and meaning. We want to find and use our talents to reach our desired goals, whatever they may be. The first step towards living an integrated, meaningful, joyful life is recognizing that to change your world, you start by changing yourself. So, are you ready for this? (The answer is yes - yes you are!)
I work with smart professionals (like YOU) to build confidence, presence, and clarity so you can take the next steps towards the vibrant life and career you want. We will establish straightforward strategies designed for you to take concrete steps in pursuit of your goals.
This is not about lip service - I’ll help you take action by clarifying your values, uncovering the obstacles that are holding you back (that you may not even be aware of), building a toolkit of communication and reflection strategies, and learning decision-making skills to lead you in the right direction.
Five years ago, my life looked very different than it does today. I was overwhelmed by working long hours on an endless list of projects, feeling disconnected from colleagues and family alike. I was trying to make positive changes yet facing almost daily conflict. How had I gotten here after 25 years of progress and success? My work had always been fulfilling; I celebrated many accomplishments, developed strong relationships, and thrived as a leader. It was great... until it wasn’t. Instead of feeling like I had “arrived,” I felt squashed. At 49, approaching the “pinnacle” of my career in higher education, I faced burnout and deep discontent.
I was “second in command” as the Provost and Vice President of a college but I needed to be “first in command” of my own life.
I was tired of working overtime to fit myself into the shape of other people’s expectations. I was tired of going to work with a pit in my stomach. I needed more fulfillment and positive change and less “conflict management.” I needed more transformational, connected relationships and fewer transactional, tit-for-tat I owe yous. I wanted to share my talents to make a meaningful difference in the world and connect with other changemakers who would collaborate and celebrate.
So I walked.
I decided that I would not abandon myself any longer.
I took a big scary leap and left my 30-year career. Well, it was actually a bunch of small steps that added up to a big leap (something I can help you accomplish too!) My point is, I’ve gone through “significant transitions” in my own life, so I get it! After all those years, I now know I am dedicated to supporting and guiding others as they transform their lives (even as I have transformed myself!)
Once I decided to be the leader of my life, things changed. Within 2 months of walking away, I traveled to my bucket list destination of Machu Picchu, turned 50, attended a women's entrepreneur conference where I walked across a bed of hot coals (I still can’t believe it myself!) and launched my own business. One year later I hosted a women’s leadership conference attended by 200 amazing women! It hasn't always been smooth sailing, but every day (even the hard days), I am proud to be living according to my own convictions, making positive change in the world and creating the vibrant career and life I want.
Lessons I Learned On the Journey from Burnout to a Vibrant Life and Career
What I’ve learned over the years is that any venture that requires you to sacrifice your true inner self will leave you feeling unsatisfied.
There is NO need to live a life of dissatisfaction!
Not everyone will walk away from their job like I did (although maybe you will). But I know that being true to yourself, using your gifts, and sharing your authentic self changes how you lead and how you relate to the world.
Learning to listen to, trust and take action based on my own inner leadership helped me achieve connection and deep satisfaction from more meaningful work. (It was scary at times, but so exciting too!) I use these guiding principles to truly be the leader of my life.Learn How I Can Help
You can do it too by:
- Practicing “radical connection” with yourself and others; by building deep self-awareness and self-acceptance, you will connect more deeply with others.
- Setting and achieving goals by listening to your inner guidance instead of external pressures,
- Developing resilience and emotional intelligence on purpose to manage challenge and adapt to change in your life and work.
- Improve your leadership by confidently using your voice, trusting your own knowledge, and asking for help if you need it.
- Strengthening your relationships by using proven communication techniques that build trust
- Understanding and investing in social justice to help create a more inclusive and equitable world.
- Finding opportunities to intentionally practice creativity, balance, and joy
- Credentialed by the International Coach Federation as an Associate Certified Coach
- Founder of FLX Women - A Community Leadership Forum for Women
- A lifelong educator; formerly a professor, an advisor, a Dean, and a Vice President of a college
- A lifelong learner who holds a Master’s Degree in Human Communication, numerous certifications, and years of study in positive psychology, resilience and mindful leadership
- A lover of books and mountains
- Awed by the natural world, have a collection of rocks in my home and find inspiration in the woods
- An avid traveler (I’ll go anywhere!) and I speak broken Spanish
- Happiest when I’m with my husband, two grown kids, my 6 siblings and my crazy dog, Bandit